Experience the sublime combination of simplicity and flavor with this shrimp avocado toast. This humble breakfast staple is reimagined with a unique, gastronomic twist that elevates every bite.
Slow-cooked in butter, garlic, and spices, this shrimp avocado toast recipe calls for an even more incredible taste. It can all be done simultaneously, not adding more time to your busy morning and getting you to work in no time.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Versatility: This spicy shrimp avocado toast recipe is incredibly versatile. You can enjoy it at any time of the day. You could start your day with this hearty meal, or have it as a light lunch or even a delicious evening snack. With the flexibility this recipe offers, you’re free to savor this dish at your convenience.
Balanced nutrition: Made with whole grains, healthy fats from avocados, and high-quality protein from shrimp, this avocado toast is nutritionally balanced and extremely healthy. The avocado spread is a good source of vitamins and minerals, while the shrimp offers lean protein. The sourdough bread provides the carbohydrates needed for energy.
Quick and easy: Despite the luxurious flavors, this recipe is quick and easy to make. Even during a busy morning, you can prepare this dish in just a couple of minutes. From smashing the ripe avocado to pan-frying the garlic shrimp, every step is simple and straightforward.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make these avocado toasts with shrimp:
Shrimp: For this recipe, you’d want to get the larger shrimps like tiger or white shrimp. They provide more flavor when cooking. Also, you can add a touch of lemon juice while cooking the shrimp to enhance its natural flavors.
Avocado: When selecting your avocados, look for ones that are ripe but still firm. You can test this by giving it a gentle squeeze; if it yields slightly, it’s perfect for your avocado spread. Also, adding a squeeze of lime juice will not only prevent the avocado from browning but will also add a tangy kick to your smashed avocado.
Bread: Sourdough bread is recommended for its rich flavor and wonderful texture, but you’re not limited to this alone. Feel free to substitute with a good piece of ciabatta bread, whole grain, or any bread of your choice. Toast it on a grill pan or large skillet to a golden brown for the best results.
How To Make Shrimp Avocado Toast
Toast the bread: Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add 2 tbsp butter and let cook until melted. Add the bread and move it around in the pan to absorb the butter. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until golden. Once crispy, flip, repeat, and set aside when ready.
Cook the shrimp: In the same pan, add the remaining butter followed by sliced garlic. Cook until lightly golden. Add the shrimp followed by chili flakes and salt and pepper.
Cook until tender and ready, about 8-10 minutes. Once ready, set aside in a bowl.
Mash the avocado: Begin assembling your avocado by mashing it onto your bread. Using a fork, press down on any chunks to evenly spread. The riper the avocado, the easier this process is. Season accordingly with chili flakes and salt and pepper.
Add the shrimp: Add your shrimp, followed by cilantro pieces to garnish.
- When frying the shrimp, ensure you use a medium-high heat. Shrimp cooks quickly, and overcooking can make it tough and chewy. Look out for when the shrimp turns pink and forms a ‘c’ shape – this indicates that it’s perfectly cooked.
- To ensure a smooth and creamy avocado spread, scoop the flesh into a small bowl and mash with a fork until it reaches your desired consistency. A ripe avocado will mash easily and create a creamy base for your toast.
- Feel free to add in extra ingredients to enhance the flavor profile. Fresh herbs, a squeeze of lime juice, and even a little olive oil can take your avo toast from great to outstanding. Don’t forget to season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
Storage & Reheating
To store, wrap the prepared avocado toasts in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge. They are best consumed within a day. If you have leftover avocado spread, store it in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of your avocado. This prevents oxidation and keeps the avocado from turning brown.
For reheating, place the toasts on a baking sheet and reheat in a preheated oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes, or until warm. Alternatively, you can reheat in a toaster oven.
Additions & Substitutions
Adding cheese like parmesan to this recipe can create a new level of deliciousness. Just sprinkle some over your finished toast and broil for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
For extra protein, top your avo toast with a fried egg. Cook the egg on medium heat in a non-stick pan, slide it onto your prepared toast, and enjoy. For a pop of color and added nutrients, consider adding vegetables like cherry tomatoes or slices of red onion. You can also use cocktail tomatoes if you prefer.
What should I serve with this avocado shrimp toast recipe?
You can enjoy the spicy shrimp avocado toast on its own given its balanced nutrition profile. However, if you want to turn it into a full meal, consider serving it with a side salad of mixed greens dressed in a light vinaigrette, or pair it with a bowl of hot soup for a comforting meal. For a brunch idea, try a side of yogurt topped with fresh fruit.
Remember, this shrimp avocado toast is a perfect fit for any time of the year and any time of day!
How do I know when an avocado is ripe?
The way you can tell if an avocado is ripe is if you give it a gentle squeeze and it gives way. If you squeeze it and it feels like a bell pepper, it is not ripe enough yet. Another way is to check the button of the avocado. If you press the top piece and it goes into the avocado, then it is ripe.
Is avocado on toast healthy?
Avocados provide a host of excellent vitamins and minerals like magnesium, potassium, and vitamin C. It is especially known for its good fats, such as omega 3. Moreover, the shrimp in this recipe helps provide much-needed protein.
Here are a few other toast recipes you might enjoy!
Shrimp Avocado Toast
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs cilantro stems removed
- 2 tbsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp garlic sliced thinly
- 1 cup large shrimp about 8-10 pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add 2 tbsp butter and let cook until melted.
- Add the bread and move it around in the pan to absorb the butter. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until golden.
- Once crispy, flip, repeat and set aside when ready.
- In the same pan, add the remaining butter followed by sliced garlic. Cook until lightly golden.
- Add the shrimp, followed by chili flakes and salt and pepper.
- Cook until tender and ready, about 8-10 minutes. Once ready, set aside in a bowl.
- Begin assembling your avocado by mashing your avocado on your bread. Using a fork, press down on any chunks to evenly spread.
- Season accordingly with chili flakes and salt and pepper.
- Add your shrimp, followed by cilantro pieces to garnish.