These crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside malted waffles are the best waffles recipe out there. The malted milk powder added to the waffle batter makes them both fluffy and light.
Malted milk is basically a mix of barley extract, milk, salt, and baking soda. It is usually used on milkshakes and ice cream. Added to the waffle mix, the malted milk gives the waffles extra volume.
Some recipes call for corn meal in the batter to give it some texture, but I opted out of it since I prefer the fluffy and light texture.
The recipe below is very simple, and the added malted milk makes it delicious and unique. Give it a try and you might never go back to regular waffles again.
What You Need to Make Malted Waffles
The classic waffles recipe is so easy and requires very few ingredients which you probably already have in the pantry. The malted milk is sold in any big grocery store in the baking section.
- Baking powder
- Malted milk powder
- Cocoa powder (optional)
- Vanilla extract
- Waffle Maker
- Mixing Bowls
How To Make Malted Waffles
The recipe is pretty straightforward. I used a classic waffles recipe to which I added malted milk and cocoa powder. Since it comes in the form of powder, I added it in with the dry ingredients.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, malted milk, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
In a second bowl combine the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine until frothy.
While stirring, add the wet ingredients to the dry. Continue whisking until the mixture is nice and smooth.
Heat the waffle maker and brush both sides with vegetable oil. Scoop the batter onto the waffle maker and close. Cook until you are able to open the waffle maker without any force.
Transfer the waffle to a plate and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup malted milk powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- chocolate drizzle sauce for serving
- ice cream for serving
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, malted milk powder, cocoa powder, and sugar. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a second mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla. Whisk to combine until frothy and pour over the flour mix. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Preheat the waffle iron and spray with non-stick spray. Scoop 1 cup of the batter and pour into the waffle maker. Try not to overfill it because it will make a mess.
- Close the waffle iron and cook for a minute or two. Lift the top and transfer the waffle to a plate. Repeat with the rest of the batter and serve immediately.
- Serve with chocolate drizzle sauce and ice cream on top.
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy!
- Nutella Waffles
- Carrot Waffles
- How to Cook Frozen Waffles in the Air Fryer
- Stuffed Waffles (Made With Biscuits)
- Waffle Sandwich
- Waffles With No Milk
Hristina Polk focuses on Mediterranean fusion meals inspired by her Eastern European culture and the places she has traveled.