If you’ve never had an egg tortilla then you may be skeptical, but I promise if you hang in there with me, I will convince you to make this your everyday breakfast. This egg tortilla recipe is easy to make at a moment’s notice, or ahead of time to be reheated all week long.
An egg tortilla is just that—a flat scrambled egg mixture that comes out thin and malleable like a tortilla, or crepe if you prefer. You can use whatever fillings you like to make up the inside of the tortilla, and I’ve given you multiple suggestions to keep you busy all week long!
What You Need to Make Egg Tortillas
To make a simple egg tortilla, you only need eggs, salt, pepper, and butter or oil—the rest is just for your filling.
For my filling, I’m going with spinach, bacon, swiss, and avocado.
Ingredients for Tortilla:
- Black Pepper
- Butter or oil
Ingredients for filling:
- Swiss cheese
- Nonstick pan
- Plastic spatula
- Fork or whisk
- Cutting board
There are endless options to spice up your egg tortillas every day of the week. Here are some of my favorites:
- Ham and white cheddar
- Sauteed kale, diced tomato, gorganzola
- Avocado, salsa, monterey jack cheese, shredded chicken
- Sauteed mushrooms, spinach, parmesan cheese
- Smoked salmon, chevre, chives
How To Make Egg Tortillas
First, set an 8” pan to medium heat and add your butter or oil, making sure to thoroughly coat the entire pan.
While your pan is warming up, crack your eggs into a bowl and add your salt and pepper. Mix your egg mixture with a whisk or fork until homogenized.
Once your pan is hot, pour in your egg mixture. Let this cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes.
Use your spatula to curve around the rim of the eggs and gently flip. Let cook on other side for another 1-2 minutes.
Once your egg tortilla is fully cooked, you can remove it from the heat and add your filling. To do this, follow the rules of a burrito and add your filling down the center towards the middle of the egg wrap, making sure not to add too much filling. Gently roll your egg tortilla on either side to wrap around your filling.
How many calories are in an egg tortilla?
This egg tortilla recipe yields about 415 calories per serving (1 8” tortilla). The cool thing about egg tortillas is they are packed with protein, about 20g, and low carb, only 4g.
How can I store them?
Keep them in an airtight container. They will last for about 3-4 days. To reheat, place in the microwave and heat for 15 seconds on one side, then flip over and heat for 15 seconds on the other side.
Egg Tortilla Recipe
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ¼ avocado sliced
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- ½ cup spinach lightly sautéed
- Set a nonstick pan to medium heat and add your butter, making sure to thoroughly coat the entire inside of the pan.
- While your pan is heating, crack your eggs into a bowl and add salt and pepper, mix with a whisk or fork until homogenized.
- Pour your egg mixture into the pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Curve your spatula around the rim of the eggs and gently flip your egg tortilla over. Let cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Once your egg tortilla is fully cooked, remove from the heat and add your fillings and wrap your egg tortilla.
- Place your bacon on a nonstick or cast iron pan set to medium high heat.
- Let your bacon cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, then flip and let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove your bacon and put on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add your spinach to the pan, sauteeing for just 1-2 minutes (spinach cooks very quickly) then set aside.
- Slice your avocado.
- To add your filling, place cheese on egg tortilla, then add spinach, bacon, and avocado, then wrap your egg tortilla.
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy!
Olivia has been in love with all things food and libations for nearly a decade. When she’s not cooking up new recipes, she enjoys bikepacking, wine tasting, crocheting, and traveling in her camper van up and down the Pacific Northwest.