This chicken bacon ranch sandwich is one of the most versatile breakfast sandwiches. The homemade ranch adds a cool and milky flavor to the blackened chicken and crispy, thick-cut bacon. It is easy to make and perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Sandwiches are a great idea for breakfast and brunch because they pack flavor, don’t require silverware to eat them, and are great on-the-go options. This delicious chicken bacon ranch sandwich does not hold back on any of these qualities and packs a ton of flavor.
I love making this sandwich because I don’t need any special equipment. I cook the bacon and chicken first before making the rest of the sandwich. The chicken and bacon also store well in the fridge so you can make them ahead of time.
The chicken is cooked with a blend of flavorful spices that mix well with the salty bacon and cool ranch. The cold garnishes like tomato, lettuce, and avocado add to the fullness and flavor of the sandwich.
What You Need to Make This Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwich
This recipe is straightforward and easy to adapt if you’d like to make any modifications. If you are looking for a lighter bread option, swap the hamburger buns for slices of wheat or rye bread.
The blackened chicken is ready in minutes, but a store-bought rotisserie chicken works great as well.
The ranch is made from scratch and requires a few extra ingredients. Keep in mind that store-bought ranch is packed with sugar and preservatives. It also doesn’t taste as fresh or light as the homemade ranch, so I highly recommend making it yourself. It takes just a few minutes!
- Chicken breast – flattened.
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder
- Seasoned salt – such as Lawry’s.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper – this is optional, but adds a nice kick to the dish.
- Black pepper
- Thick-cut bacon – cooked.
- Pretzel hamburger buns – or your choice of bread.
Homemade Ranch Ingredients:
- Sour cream
- Dried dill
- Fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
How to Make a Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwich
Place the chicken breast on a flat surface. Cover with parchment paper and roll up and down to flatten it.
Combine the spices together in a small mixing bowl. Pat the chicken dry and rub the seasoning all over, making sure to press the spices in. Use gloves if you don’t like touching the raw chicken with your bare hands or are worried the spices may irritate your skin.
Heat a large skillet to medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Place the chicken in the hot oil and cook on each side. The thermometer should read at least 150F. If it starts to burn on the outside but it is still pink on the inside, finish the chicken in the oven.
Meanwhile, cook the bacon in the oven and cut the strips in half so they fit on the sandwich.
To make the homemade ranch, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, and buttermilk in a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the garlic, dill, salt and pepper. Continue whisking until incorporated, then stir in the fresh chives.
To assemble the sandwich, spread a little dijon mustard on the bottom half of the pretzel bun. Arrange the chicken and bacon on top, followed by the cheese, tomato, and lettuce. Drizzle with the homemade ranch dressing and top with the remaining pretzel bun.
Is blackened chicken spicy?
Blackened chicken is not spicy. The term “blackened” refers to the way the chicken is cooked or seared in the pan. It also refers to the spice mix. Adding cayenne pepper to the spice mix will make the chicken spicier, though, so feel free to skip it for this recipe if you don’t want it to be spicy.
How do I flatten the chicken?
Place the chicken breast on a flat surface such as a cutting board. Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the chicken breast, then use a rolling pin or sturdy glass bottle to roll and flatten the chicken. Flattening the chicken will help it to cook evenly.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwich
- 1 chicken breast flattened
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 bacon slices
- 4 tbsp ranch dressing homemade or store bought
- 2 lettuce leaves washed and patted dry
- 2 cheddar cheese slices
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 brioche buns
Homemade ranch dressing
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Place the chicken breast on a flat surface and cover with parchment paper. Roll the top with a rolling pin so the chicken flattens. This will help the chicken cook faster and evenly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Pat the chicken with a paper towel and rub the seasoning all over it.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Place the chicken in the olive oil and cook on both sides for about 6-8 minutes. The chicken is done when there is no pink in the center. Finish in the oven at 375F for about 10 minutes if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the wire rack on top. Line the bacon slices flat next to each other on the rack. Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes. Leave a minute or two longer for crispier bacon.
- Meanwhile, make the homemade ranch dressing. In a mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, buttermilk, mayonnaise, garlic, salt and pepper, dill, chives, and lemon juice, and whisk until everything is well incorporated and creamy.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread one of the bread slices with dijon mustard. Layer the chicken, bacon slices, cheese, and lettuce on top. Drizzle with ranch dressing.
- Spread some of the dijon mustard on the second bread slice and top the sandwich with it. Slice in half diagonally and serve.
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy!