If you love sourdough, then you’re going to love this sourdough breakfast sandwich. To enhance the flavors of this go-to favorite, this breakfast sandwich has mustard, eggs, spinach, swiss cheese, and sliced deli sausages—a delicious morning meal that can even be made if you’re in a rush and looking for a quick lunch fix.
The addition of fresh herbs like thyme makes this sandwich an instant classic for me! So many delicious ingredients make for such a great meal any time of day.
When toasting the bread, it’s best to use butter. Spread some on both sides of the slice and sear to get the crispiest bite.
Sprinkling some herbs on top of the scrambled eggs is a must. It gives the meal such a great additional flavor boost. Other herbs that go great with this recipe are chives, oregano, basil, and even rosemary.
What You Need To Make Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich
These ingredients are best when they’re fresh, so they will require a trip to the grocery store. Items like spinach, tomatoes, and thyme shouldn’t be too difficult to find.
Swiss cheese and deli ham can be substituted with your favorite cheese and sliced meat. And while sourdough bread can be found at your local grocer, the best sourdough in your area may require a trip to your local bakery—but it will be worth it!
- Sourdough bread
- Swiss cheese
- Deli ham
- Scrambled eggs
- Dijon mustard
- Thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
How To Make a Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich
Toast your sourdough bread: Heat a nonstick frying pan on medium-high. Meanwhile, butter both sides of your sourdough bread and set aside.
Once hot, place your sourdough bread into the frying pan. Sear until golden, about 5 minutes. Once ready, flip and repeat with both slices until golden on all sides.
Whisk your eggs: In a small bowl, add your eggs, followed by salt and pepper. Using a fork, scramble your eggs until broken and well incorporated.
Cook your eggs: In the same pan, add butter followed by eggs. Gently scramble eggs with a spatula, breaking the eggs to form curds. Season with salt and pepper and thyme leaves. Once eggs are ready, remove from heat and set aside.
Assemble and serve: Begin assembling your sourdough sandwich layering with mustard, ham, scrambled eggs, swiss cheese, tomato, and spinach. Slice in half.
Serve and enjoy!
Can I use a different cheese?
You are more than welcome to use your favorite cheese. As an alternative, I recommend using provolone and melting it onto the scrambled eggs. The cheesy provolone mixed with the eggs will make for a delicious and savory bite.
What can I serve this with?
Feel free to eat this with french fries, chips, or any of your favorite accompaniments with sandwiches. Some other sides that can also enhance the experience are beans, potato salad, or a side of fruit.
Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 2 slices deli ham
- 2 eggs
- 1 beefsteak tomato sliced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp thyme leaves stems removed
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter both sides of your sourdough bread and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan on medium-high.
- Once hot, place your sourdough bread into the frying pan and sear until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Once ready, flip and repeat with both slices until golden on all sides.
- In a small bowl, add your eggs followed by salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, scramble your eggs until broken and well incorporated.
- In the same pan, add butter followed by eggs.
- Gently scramble eggs with a spatula, breaking the eggs to form curds.
- Season with salt and pepper and thyme leaves.
- Once eggs are ready, remove from heat and set aside.
- Begin assembling your sourdough sandwich layering with mustard, ham, eggs, swiss cheese, tomato and spinach.
- Slice in half and serve. Enjoy!
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy!