This shiitake mushroom omelette has a delicious mix of mushrooms, cheese, and a little kick of spice to get you going. The rich flavors of the omelette served with toast, salad, hashbrowns or any of your favorite morning sides are a great way to start your day.
Did you know that Shiitake mushrooms are considered a superfood? They’re especially good at protecting against cell damage and improving the immune system. When made in a delicious omelette, your mornings just got so much better!
Looking for more omelette recipes? Here are other recipes you might enjoy: Mushroom Tomato Omelette, Portobello Mushroom Omelette, Spinach & Feta Cheese Omelette, Sun-Dried Tomato Omelette, and Spinach & Goat Cheese Omelette.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Superfood infusion: Shiitake mushrooms are known to boost immunity and are packed with health benefits. Plus, the eggs provide a great source of protein and vitamin D, ensuring this is not just a tasty, but also a nourishing start to your day.
Versatile & customizable: You can easily substitute ingredients based on preference or dietary needs, making this recipe adaptable to virtually any diet or palate.
Quick & easy: Even on your busiest mornings, you can whip up this scrumptious omelette. With just a nonstick skillet and a few staple ingredients, you have a breakfast that’s delicious, healthy, and satisfying.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this healthy mushroom omelette:
Eggs: Beaten eggs form the base of this omelette. For an extra fluffy result, whisk eggs with a little milk or cream before cooking them over medium-low heat. For vegans, there are many egg substitutes available in the market, such as chickpea flour or tofu.
Shiitake Mushrooms: Whether you prefer them fresh or dried, shiitake mushrooms offer a unique, savory flavor that boosts the taste of this omelette. Remember, if using dried ones, soak them overnight for optimal texture and flavor.
Cheese: White cheddar cheese is recommended for its creamy and sharp taste, but feel free to substitute with your preferred cheese. For a vegan option, try a plant-based cheese.
Chili Flakes: These give a kick to the omelette. Adjust the quantity according to your heat tolerance, or you can even substitute with freshly chopped green chili or jalapenos for an extra crunch and heat.
Soy Sauce: A drizzle of soy sauce can elevate the flavor of the omelette, making it even more savory and delicious. Feel free to use Tamari or coconut aminos for a gluten-free or soy-free alternative.
How To Make a Shiitake Mushroom Omelette
Whisk the eggs: In a large bowl, add your eggs, 1 tsp of chili flakes, and a pinch of salt and whisk until combined and bubbles form.
Cook the mushrooms: Heat a large nonstick frying pan on medium and add your oil. Once hot, add your garlic and saute for two minutes until golden. Add your mushrooms and sear until golden on the edges, stirring occasionally, about eight minutes. Once ready, remove from pan and set aside.
Cook your omelette: In the same pan, add your eggs and cook for 2-3 minutes until a skin forms.
Add your filling: On one side, add cheddar cheese, mushrooms, and salt and pepper to taste. Let cook for about two minutes until the egg solidifies. Fold it over and place on a serving plate.
Garnish and serve: Garnish with a pinch of chili flakes and chives, and serve. Enjoy!
- Cook the egg mixture over medium heat in a non-stick pan for the best results. When the edges of the omelette start to set, gently lift them with a rubber spatula, allowing the uncooked portions to flow underneath.
- Ensure the mushrooms are golden and cooked through before adding them to the omelette. If needed, you can cover the pan for a couple of minutes to speed up the cooking process.
- Garnish with fresh herbs or spring onions for a pop of color and added flavor. Serving it hot straight from the skillet ensures a deliciously melty and gooey cheese center.
Storage & Reheating
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, place the omelette in a non-stick pan over medium heat, cover and warm for 1-2 minutes on each side.
Additions & Substitutions
Feel free to make this recipe your own! Add a variety of veggies like bell peppers or spinach, or experiment with different cheeses. For meat lovers, adding some cooked bacon or ham can enhance the flavor. If you want a vegan version, replace the eggs with a vegan egg substitute and use vegan cheese.
What should I serve with this omelette with mushrooms recipe?
This omelette pairs well with many side dishes. A fresh salad or some lightly sauteed vegetables on the side can balance the rich, savory flavors. If you prefer a heartier meal, serve with toast, hashbrowns, or even a bowl of rice or quinoa. Alternatively, enjoy it as is for a lighter meal. The flavorful mushroom and egg mixture is more than satisfying on its own.
How can I serve this for brunch guests?
If you’re looking to serve this for guests, try doubling the recipe and potentially using a different cheese. Pecorino or gruyere are great options as they have a bolder and sharper taste. You can also garnish with arugula tossed in oil to give a nice sheen and wow your guests when they see it.
Here are a few other omelette recipes you might enjoy!
Shiitake Mushroom Omelette
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes + 1 tsp to garnish
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3-4 eggs
- ¾ cup shiitake mushrooms quartered
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives for garnishing
- In a large bowl, add your eggs, 1 tsp of chili flakes, and a pinch of salt and whisk until combined and bubbles form.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan on medium and add your oil.
- Once hot, add your garlic and saute for two minutes until golden.
- Add your mushrooms and sear until golden on the edges, stirring occasionally, about eight minutes.
- Once ready, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add your eggs and cook for 2-3 minutes until a skin forms.
- On one side add cheddar cheese, mushrooms, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the omelette cook for about two minutes until the egg solidifies, fold, and place into a serving plate.
- Garnish with a pinch of chili flakes and chives.
- Serve and enjoy!