This sausage and cream cheese casserole is a delicious way to start your morning. It’s a warm, puffy, flakey croissant crust mixed with the savory bite of breakfast sausages. And the best part is it’s made with only six ingredients!
This is a really great recipe to have when you’re in a hurry and looking to make something quick in the morning. You can also make it in advance! Just bake, cut into individual portions and freeze. When you’re hungry, pop a slice into the oven and eat. This casserole can last up to two weeks in the freezer.
This is a very simple dish. To make the most of it, be sure to press down on the croissant dough so it bakes evenly when it’s in the oven. Another thing to keep in mind is to cut open the sausage casing. That will make it easier to break into bite-sized pieces.
What You Need to Make a Breakfast Casserole With Sausage & Cream Cheese
For this recipe, you are going to need to grab a premade croissant dough. This is the base of the recipe and is what gives the casserole the flaky, crispy crust.
If you can’t find premade croissant dough, you can use frozen puff pastry dough as well. If you are a vegetarian, instead of using breakfast sausages, portobello mushrooms will have a similar meaty taste.
- Premade croissant dough
- Breakfast sausages
- Cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
- Parsley (optional)
How To Make Sausage & Cream Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Whisk your eggs: In a large bowl, add your eggs and milk. Whisk until combined and set aside. This allows air into the eggs and makes for a fluffier casserole.
Cook your sausages: Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add your breakfast sausages and break them into bite-sized pieces using a spatula. Sear until golden brown on each side, about 15 minutes.
Mix your filling: Once your sausages are ready, pour them into a large bowl. Add your cheddar cheese and cream cheese, and mix until fully combined. Set aside.
Add your dough: Assemble your casserole, starting with your croissant dough. Spray your casserole dish with cooking oil, then roll out your dough and place it on the bottom of the casserole dish. Press down on the edges with your fingers to make sure the layers are pressed together.
Add your filling: Next, add your remaining ingredients, beginning with the sausage filling, followed by the eggs. Bake until golden brown, about 25-35 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
What can I eat with this casserole?
This sausage & cream cheese casserole is a very savory dish, so any accompaniments would be best served if they were on the lighter, healthier end. Dishes like a salad and fresh fruits like cantaloupe and honeydew would also be a nice way to cut the overall savouriness of the dish.
What can I substitute the cheddar cheese with?
The cheddar cheese really makes for a savory bite, but if you’re looking for a richer flavor, you can try making it with pecorino or Havarti cheese. These will add notes of sharpness or a little kick of heat to the dish.
How can I make this healthier?
If you are looking for a healthier option, try making this dish with greens like spinach, kale, or collard greens. This will add more fiber to the dish and make for a lighter serving per bite.
Sausage & Cream Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 1 8-oz can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 lb breakfast sausage cooked
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese softened
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp pepper
- parsley chopped, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl add your eggs and milk, and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and add sausages.
- Break the sausages with a spatula and cook until golden on each side,10 minutes.
- Remove sausages and place in a large bowl.
- Add cheddar cheese and cream cheese, and mix with a spatula until combined. Set aside.
- Begin assembling your casserole in your casserole dish by unrolling the crescent rolls and pressing into the bottom of the pan, pressing seams together to seal.
- Top with sausage cream cheese mixture and whisked eggs, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the center is set.
- Once ready, garnish with parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy!
- Cranberry Apple Casserole
- Brioche French Toast Casserole
- Sausage & Gravy Breakfast Pizza
- Blueberry Baked Oats (Without Banana)
Matthew is a recipe developer and food photographer based in Canada. He enjoys all things food, drink and makes his best decisions with a mimosa in hand.