Try this classic omelette made with fresh vegetables, savory ham, and warm, gooey Swiss cheese. A Western Omelette is like a warm hug wrapped in an egg. It’s loaded with veggies, ham, and cheese and goes great with toast, hashbrowns, and other staple breakfast sides.
If you’re in a hurry, this is a great omelette to make in advance and reheat when you have time. It is one way to treat yourself throughout the week and start your mornings on a positive note!
When cooking the omelette, it’s best to cook it low and slow, especially because of the cooking of the vegetables. Because it is easy to stick to the egg and rip it apart, try using a little more oil so it gives a nice protective coating for your pan.
What You Need To Make a Western Omelette
The base of a Western omelette is a must and is composed of bell peppers, onions, ham, and cheese. These ingredients can be found at your local grocer. If you can’t find Swiss cheese, try using cheddar. If ham isn’t your favorite, bacon would also work.
- Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Bell pepper
How To Make a Western Omelette
Whisk your eggs: In a large bowl, add your eggs, salt, and pepper and whisk until combined and bubbles start to form.
Cook your filling: Heat a large frying pan on low heat. Add oil followed by onions and cook until translucent.
Add ham, bell peppers, and salt and pepper. Cook until your filling is tender and the ham has some color, about 5-10 minutes.
Add eggs: Once cooked, add eggs and cook until set.
Add your cheese: Add your cheese and let cook on low until it melts.
Flip and serve: Flip your omelette and serve it with your choice of sides and condiments. Enjoy!
What is a Western omelette versus a regular omelette?
The main difference between a Western omelette and a regular omelette is the choice of ingredients and how they are cooked. A classic Western omelette is made of ham, bell peppers, yellow onions, and cheese, and the egg is poured onto the already stir-fried vegetables rather than the vegetable being filled atop cooked eggs.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup yellow onion (diced)
- ½ cup ham (cubed)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add your eggs, salt, and pepper and whisk until combined and bubbles start to form. Once ready, set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan on low heat.
- Add your oil followed by onions and cook until translucent.
- Add ham, bell peppers, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until your filling is tender and the ham has some color, about 5-10 minutes.
- Once cooked, add your eggs and cook until a thin layer forms.
- Add your cheese and let cook on low until it melts.
- Flip your omelette and serve it with your choice of sides and condiments, enjoy!
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy!